6.30.2012

Bucket List

In recent years it has become increasingly clear to me that I need to make an official bucket list.  I find that I'm terrible at achieving goals - especially goals I never set.  Therefore I feel it is time to make these goals official.  There are a few qualities I want for my bucket list.  First, nothing too generic.  I don't want a bunch of stuff that generally everyone would put on their list if there is enough room.  It needs to be something specific to me.  Second, many items need to be fairly difficult to achieve.  There obviously will be a few simpler ones, since there are some relatively simple things that I really, really want to do.  But on the whole, I'd like to make a list of non-easy things that I really want to do.  Third, it all has to be at least possible.   Difficult, but possible.  Would I love to climb Everest?  Sure - but I can't.  I'm out of shape and sweat too much to be able to survive in that kind of cold.  Won't make the list.  With those general rules in mind, here are the first 15 things I can think of for my bucket list.  Notice these are not numbered.  No one thing will be given priority over another on the list, thus no numbering.

  • Play a round of golf with a current or former U.S. President (I don't care about his or her political affiliation - it's about the office, not the occupant)
  • Meet, get a picture taken with Alvin Plantinga
  • Eat Oaxacan Black Mole cooked by Rick Bayless
  • Go skydiving solo
  • Go to a Lions game at Ford Field
  • Go to a Super Bowl the Lions are playing in (obviously this is contingent on them making a Super Bowl during my lifetime at a time in which I can afford it)
  • Have something I wrote published in a widely read publication
  • Attend an annual meeting of the Society of Christian Philosophers
  • Get a hole in one in both regular golf and disc golf
  • Visit 6 of the 7 continents (I hate cold too much to care about visiting Antarctica)
  • Eat a Kobe steak in Kobe, Japan
  • Play a round of golf on the Old Course at St. Andrews
  • Compete against a professional athlete in the sport at which he or she is a professional
  • Shoot a bull elk large enough that it makes sense to mount, and have it mounted
  • Go on one legitimate, well-studied, well-planned, well-funded, extended treasure hunt
I'm sure there are a ton of things I've forgotten or just never thought of, but I think this is a good start.  Ideally I'd like my bucket list to get up to 25 items, so if any of you have any good ideas to add, please share!

6 comments:

  1. So...I recommend hitting The Old Course with President Bush and throwing down a hole in one. 3 birds with one stone.

    Hate to tell you, but I've already got the double ace checked off.

    Last...You need to eat a REAL KOBE beef tenderloin in Tokyo or Nagoya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I considered making that golf trio happen as well. That certainly would make it easier. Any suggestions for getting G.W. to pay for the trip? Also...how to I ensure that I hit the hole in one while I'm there?

    To be honest, I did consider throwing the Kobe steak in Kobe, Japan on there. It just didn't make the top 15. I think it makes the top 25, though. I'll expand the list once I come up with the rest of the last 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan has volunteered to lead us all on the North-South Cabinet trip next summer. Matt and I have been training. You could join up. 4 days, one whole mountain range. Not a shabby accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Kobe beef idea is especially influential right now since we learned this week that there's no such thing as kobe beef outside of Japan. Everything called kobe outside of Japan is fake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We already knew that. The "news" this week wasn't really news. Nevertheless, the idea was already quite tempting for me, so the non-newness of the news doesn't affect my desire to eat Kobe in Kobe.

    Candace - I'd love to say yes, but if I'm realistic I know I won't be able to have that much time off work.

    ReplyDelete